Thursday, June 21, 2012

Zucchini Boat Wrecks

Funny name, huh?
My family loves this dish and helped me come up with the name. I don't care what they call it, what I love is that it is so healthy and I can get my whole family to eat zucchini.
A few years ago I had a surplus of zucchini from my garden and was very tired of making zucchini bread..  I originally sliced the zucchini horizontally, scooped out some of the seeds, filled with the mixture and cooked in the microwave.  A fun dinner that didn't heat up the house on those hot summer days.
One day I got lazy and wanted to do it all in one pan.  I sliced up the zucchini into discs.  The taste was exactly the same, but we could no longer call the dinner boats.  We all agreed that boat wrecks was very appropriate.  So there is the story.  Now on to the recipe...

Zucchini Boat Wrecks


1 package Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey sausage
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cups zucchini, sliced into discs.
mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes
mozzarella cheese

Take skin off of sausage.  Brown sausage and onions in pan. Drain excess fat.  Add zucchini and mushrooms.  When veggies are almost done, add some cheese. ( I used about 1 cup because of calories, but you could stir some in and add some to the top if calories are not a concern for you.)

Calories - 211
Fat - 12
Carbs -6
Protein - 20.5

For our family, this made 6 servings.  I served with a piece of garlic bread and it was a delightful meal. A side salad could go great with this too.  I hope you try this and that your family doesn't turn their noses up at the green.

I would love your comments and feedback.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy and healthy...can't wait to try...just need some Michigan grown zucchini...thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete